- 1 500g pack of beef mince
- Veg or sunflower oil
- Garlic 3 cloves (I love garlic…)
- 1 large onion
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 carrots
- 1 red pepper or courgette or leave out – up to you! What’s lurking in the fridge and does it need using?
- Salt and pepper
Everyone has a different way of making their bolognaise – this is mine, with secret ingredients (splash of Worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar)
Keen to get a bit of veg into kids I often add a couple of carrots and a courgette or red pepper depending what I’ve got in fridge that needs using. Takes 35-40 mins to cook.
• Chop all veg – small or even put in blender to hide form kids if need be
• With 2 tablespoons of oil brown off the mince on a medium heat.
• Using a slatted spoon take out of pan and set aside trying to leave as much oil in pan as you want the flavour of the oil to cook the onion and garlic
• Now add the veg and continue cooking for 5 minutes
• Put the mince back into the pan with all the veg and add a splash of Worcester sauce cook on medium to low for 10 minutes, stirring and of course season to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
• Add a tin of chopped tomatoes and cook for an additional 10 mins. Add two teaspoons of balsamic and stir well. Cover with lid and simmer
• Get your pasta in the boiling water at the same time following packet instructions and cooking to your taste.
Serve with some chopped basil and parmesan cheese.