- 2-2.5kg piece rolled beef brisket, tied with string
- bunch fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Put the tied brisket in a large roasting tin and tuck the garlic and thyme inside and under string. Massage the meat with the olive oil, season well with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 140C, cover the meat with foil and return it to the oven for 4 hours, basting from time to time.
4. Add the onions and turn them in the meat juices. Turn the oven up to 160C and cook, uncovered, for a further hour, until the joint has crisped up.
5. Serve the beef in thick slices, with any juices spooned over the meat.