- 500g or 1lb fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
- 1 pint double cream
- 1 packet of ready made meringues
Eton Mess, Prep time 15 mins.
Eton mess, without the mess? I simply don’t have time to make meringues the night before. Nowadays supermarket ones are perfect for making this dessert hassle free. This recipe is a Delia one that I have adapted, opting to not make the meringue saving 3 egg yolks in the process! Yes when on a budget I’d rather save 3 eggs and buy my meringues! No brainer.
• 1 chop half of the strawberries and place in blender with the icing sugar. Wizz them together to make a puree and then pass it through a nylon sieve which removes the seeds.
• 2 chop the remaining strawberries
• 3 whip up the cream – not too thick!
• 4 break up the meringues into 2.5cm pieces and place in large bowl
• 5. Add the chopped strawberries and add the cream folding it into the broken meringues
• 6. Now fold in nearly all of the puree to create a rippled effect
• 7. Place into individual bowls or a large dish and drizzle remaining puree over the top
• 8. Eat straight away!
I know it says cooking time but there is none,