- 1 celery heart
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200ml / 7 fl oz dry white wine
- appox 150ml / 1/4 pint fish stock
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250g / 9 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 30ml/2tbsp red pesto
- 450g / 11b, pollack skinned cut into 4cm / 1 ½ inch chunks
- 250g/ 9oz , hake skinned, cut into 4cm/1 ½ in chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil to serve
Bistro Fish Stew, Served with plenty of garlic bread to mop up the delicious sauce!
Roughly chop the celery and set to one side. Wash and finely slice the leek.
Heat the oil in a large pan or wok. Add the celery and leek and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Stir in the wine, stock, tinned tomatoes and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 12 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes cover and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season well.
Stir in the pesto and add the fish, bring back to a simmer. Stir in the mussels, cover and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the mussels have opened and the fish is just cooked.
To serve, ladle the stew into four deep plates or bowls and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Serve at once with garlic bread.