- I x 300g packet of bacon (smoked or unsmoked, thick or thin cut with at least
- Garlic cloves 2-3
- I tin chopped tomatoes
- I large onion
- 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable or light olive oil
Bacon and tomato pasta sauce, Prep time 10 mins.
This recipe is just brilliant, an Italian woman taught me many years ago and it’s become a weekly staple. She used pancetta, but I now only ever use bacon. A very economical meal served with a lovely green mixed salad and garlic bread –
• Chop the bacon into small squares, so cut in thin strips and then again.
• Get the pan nice and hot add the oil.
• Add the bacon and stir, the bacon will almost disappear before your eyes. You don’t want to burn the bacon, but you want it to turn orangey brown and slightly crispy. Then turn heat to lowest setting.
• Finely chop the onion
• Add the garlic and onion. Cook for approx. 5 minutes
• Add the chopped tomatoes, stir well and place a lid over the pan and simmer for approx. 20 – 30 mins, stirring often to ensure the sauce doesn’t stick.
• Put your chosen pasta on and follow cooking instructions, once cooked, drain, add a splash of good quality olive oil and tip into the pan with the sauce (the proper Italian way)
• Mix very well and serve immediately. No more hungry tummies.